Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Weekend in Washington DC

The hubs, K1, K2, and I spent Friday evening through Sunday afternoon with family in the Washington DC area. Let me tell you how much I *heart* the DC area. I always have. When I was younger, I would go to DC about 2 times a year with my family to stay in Falls Church, VA and take in all the Nation's Capital has to offer. I love the hustle. I love the variety. I love the cleanliness. I absolutely LOVE the people watching. The hubs....not so much. In his eyes, there are way too many cars on the road. They switch lanes too abruptly. There are too many people....they make him nervous. Even still, deep down I know he loves it too.

You see, as I mentioned before, our town is REALLY small. I'm talking no grocery store. One CVS, one gas station small. EVERYONE knows you...and your business. But, that is the kind of thing Hubs likes. Well, not the knowing your business part, but the fact that you know everyone around you, so you are comfortable. There is never traffic here. Unless there is a fire, car accident, or a lot of police activity on a certain street. Then there is traffic. Because, once again, EVERYONE wants to know everyone else's business.

ANYWAY, we left Friday afternoon for the 3ish hour trek South. K1 and K2 did wonderfully in the car. In fact, neither one made a peep. Except for K1 asking for snacks or for me to change the DVD in the DVD player. Sidenote: If you are going on a long trip and you don't have DVD players, consider purchasing some. They are sanity savers fo' sho'! I also recommend a snack basket filled with easy to open, hard to make a mess snacks. You can just pass the basket back to the kids and they can have a snack buffet.

The trip down was pretty uneventful. We only had one issue. Ever see the road signs that say, "SPEED ENFORCED BY PHOTO IMAGING"? Ever say to yourself, "yeahhhhh, okay,"? Well....don't. They aren't kidding. Nope. Not at all. Hubs was cruising along just before Cumberland, MD at an easy, breezy 67 mph. Speed limit clearly is 55 mph. Hubs see aforementioned sign. He ignores it. Then, it goes a little something like this:

Hubs: Ah, son of a b!#ch!!
Me: WHAT?!
Hubs: We just got our picture taken...
Me: Uhmmm, why? (I didn't see the sign)
Hubs: There's a freaking speed trap enforced by cameras. They just took our picture. That white SUV back there.
Me: (Looks behind us along the side of the road. There is a white SUV with the entire grill covered in cameras) Oh....nice.
Hubs: Yeah I was 12 over....we are getting a ticket in the mail.

Saturday we spent the day with Hubs's family at a graduation party. They weather was perfect. The backyard was shaded just enough and the breeze blowing really kept the edge of the heat off. K1 had a blast! She jumped on the trampoline for hours. She played basketball with teenagers. She was bullied a little by 9 year old boy, but with a little help from her older cousin, she held her own. She's a feisty little thing! Here she is:

K2 napped for a good portion of the party, but then she woke up and spent the rest of the time being cute. What she is best at. Here she is:


Sunday morning, we woke up and went to.......


Ohhhh yeah. Come to Mama. I have wanted to go to Georgetown Cupcake for a LONG time. It was one of my chubby dreams. You know, right up there with visiting every single restaurant Guy Fieri goes to. So, this particular Georgetown Cupcake is in Bethesda at this really cute little area called Bethesda Row. It was about 15 minutes from where we were staying. For those that don't know, if you "Like" Georgetown Cupcake on Facebook, every day they have a secret flavor you can get for FREE if you ask for it by name. (100/location, 1/customer) This particular day it was Chocolate Covered Strawberry. 


These were yellow cake with fresh strawberries baked inside, topped with chocolate ganache. Oh. My. God. Delicious. They were so yummy. I also got a variety dozen to bring home. 


Believe me when I tell you these cupcakes are 100% everything they are cracked up to be. When you take your first bite, it is like trumpets sound and the angels sing. The frostings are so perfect...not too sweet, not too buttercream'y. Just perfect. The cake is moist and flavorful. If you ever have the opportunity to stop by Georgetown Cupcake, you must!

After Bethesda Row, we headed to Rockville Town Square to the little splash pad they have there. Once again, the Town Square is awesome. Filled with restaurants and shops and so visually appealing. K1 was a little hesitant at first....she usually spazzes out if the tiniest drop of water gets anywhere near her face. But not that day. Nope. She was allllll in folks.



Even K2 got in on the action:




After we left the splash pad, we went back and got our things and hit the road, Jack. We had such a fun time down there. I only wish we could have stayed longer. We are planning on returning in the fall and spending some time in the city. After all, I am sure there is PLENTY of people watching to do in DC. 

Until next time.....





No comments:

Post a Comment